Walking tour of Bauman Street

Write a review
Departure from:
Every day

Bauman Street is one of Kazan's oldest streets. In the era of the Khanate of Kazan it was called Nogai Road. In 1552, during the storming of Kazan Kremlin by Ivan the Terrible's troops from Moscow, both its walls to the south and north of the wall were breached by explosions. In memory of this event the street was named Prolomnaya ("Broken") and then Big Prolomnaya. In the XVI century, continuing the already existing development of the northern part of the street, in the southern part the New Sloboda (settlement) appeared that was later called Bogoyalenskaya (Epiphany) in honor of the church erected here.

Big Prolomnaya street was formed as the main shopping street. At that period, goods were delivered along Bulak, along which were located many marinas, shopping warehouses and barns.

In the XVIII century the street was made straight and paved with cobblestones. During the city's numerous fires it was once completely burned off, then the city authorities decided to build only stone houses there. By the middle of the XIX century the street, to a large extent, was like it is today.

In 1930s the street was renamed in honor of a native of Kazan, Nikolai Bauman - a Volga German, one of the practitioners of revolutionary Social-Democracy. This name remained until the present time, although in the post-Soviet period there was a suggestion to rename it Chaliapin Street.

Bauman street is straight, for a walking tour it is very convenient.The tour can start from the Kazan Kremlin, or with the other end of the street where there is the clock with Arabic symbols that became the place of meetings.

If you start the walking tour of Bauman street from the Kazan Kremlin, the first thing that catches your eye is the Nicholas Cathedral. The St. Nicholas Cathedral is an architectural and bureaucratic complex consisting of communicating Nikolo-Nizskaya Church and Intercession Church, a free-standing bell tower and a number of administrative buildings.

Kazan Cat Monument, opened in 2009 at the intersection of Bauman and Musa Jalil, immediately became one of the attractions of the city, and it will delight you - the history of this monument is very interesting.

Legend has it that Empress Elizabeth (daughter of Peter I) was very afraid of rats and mice that had bred in an incredible amount in the royal chambers. The Kazan governor told her about a special breed of rat-catching cats that are found on his lands. On October 24, 1745 the Empress signed "The decree of sending cats to the court", demanding to catch and send to St. Petersburg 30 (according to other sources - 300) of these animals. Scientists can't say which breed lived in Kazan at that time, it no longer exists in pure form. But experts agree that the Kazan cats was very large with broad faces, they were good at fighting and purred a lot.

Elizabeth decree was implemented exactly, and when not a single mouse was to be found in the royal palace, the grateful Empress enrolled the Kazan cats in the Imperial Guard and gave them a special allowance: cats were fed the best beef and grouses from the royal kitchen.

Since then, the Kazan cat became an inextricable part of folklore and became a hero of anecdotes and cheap popular images such as "Kazan Cat, Astrakhan brains, Siberian wit. Lived a nice life with good food and sweet farts". This inscription is engraved on the Kazan Cat monument.

close Select travel dates
Photo gallery - Walking tour of Bauman Street Walking tour of Bauman Street

Language: English